Wednesday 10 September 2014

10 Books that Messed with My Life...

...and yet it's a pleasant mess!

Good books, irrefutably, have the potential to shape the minds, the quirks, and the twists. 


It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.
-Oscar Wilde

I am sure if I were older than him (Mr. Wilde), I would have said that instead! [I wonder if that would have made me as famous;)]

Anyway, so I wanted to talk about impact of books on my life. One of my friends emerged with my nomination to take up the trending challenge wherein I had to name 10 books that have had an impact in my life. When I came up with my list, I thought it was precious enough to be shared as a blog post. 

So, here is the list of 10 books that have made me ME- pleasant for some and un...umm for some!

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    -J.K. Rowling
(How predictable! So it's the first drug that pushed me to addiction!)


2. Mahabharata
    - C. Rajgopalachari
(Draupadi made me the Feminist Devil that I am now)


3. Men are from Mars Women are from Venus 
    - John Gray
(This man, John Gray, gave me advice that even my progenitors could not and I confess that he made me a bearable-enough wife!)


4. The Secret
     - Rhonda Byrne
(Umm..I read it and liked it. Period. No period: Though people think it was a stupid book but it did do some value addition to the almost-Pollyanna Me! )


5. Antony and Cleopatra
    - William Shakespeare
(Okay! Here I come clean…Cleopatra inspired me and I am a fan! This great-grand already-dead woman shaped my unpredictable self! I somewhat like it ;))



6. P.S. I love You
     - Cecelia Ahern
(First and the only {and I swear the last one too} hopelessly romantic novel that moved me. But it was rather the friendship of the three girls that made me like it instead of the lovesick protagonists!)


7. The Great Gatsby
     - F. Scott Fitzgerald
(I am short of words for it. It’s one of the finest novels I have read and will ever read (I guess). It’s sophisticated and intense.)


8. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
     - Mark Haddon
(Mark, you made me crave for inflicting myself with insanity- insanity that was far purer than sanity!)


9. Heart of Darkness
     - Joseph Conrad
(I am always attracted towards the scoundrels! “The horror! The horror!”)


10. Dr. Faustus
      - Christopher Marlowe
(I am a Lady Dr. Faustus {like, not the wife please, but the female version} and that says it all.)


P.S. I am still reading The Great Indian Novel and I believe that it has the potential to impact my life!

I do believe that my idiosyncrasies are majorly fashioned by the books I have read and I am happy and content (...yet I never seize to be ambitious) woman for being a dangerous creature.
Afterall...


I would love to know the books that made you dangerous, ladies!
(Men, you too are invited to reveal what books impacted you.)

1 comment:

  1. I have not read them all...
    Mine is a different list and I am inspired from your piece to conclude my list in my blog

    ReplyDelete